Thursday, January 24, 2008

Little Girls in Hats, the Dad Hat, and the Continuing Saga of the Pomatomus/Mermaid gloves




That's 7-year-old Katrina in the blue hat, 5-year-old Sofia in the red/pink hat, and 3-year-old Jessica in the purple hat. Cute, aren't they? The hat pattern is Ursule by Kate Gilbert, and it was pretty fun to do - my first Fair Isle-type project! I'll be doing more color stranding/Fair Isle work because I really like knitting two-handed and I love the color effects that are possible.

I'm back at the Pomatomus gloves after a mini break to make a hat for my dad. His wife, Barbara, tells me that he would like a brown beanie-type hat to wear on his early morning walks. (He gets up at 5 AM every day, an affliction which I happily did NOT inherit.) Anyway, I combined a couple of patterns I found on the internet for a 4 x 2 x 2 (?) rib pattern. I used a yarn I was given (no ball band), wool, plied brown and black fibers. I knew I didn't have enough of this to make the entire hat, though, so I inserted a couple of random black stripes (Lion Brand Wool).

The hat seems a little bit small. It fits me okay and my husband too (23-1/4 inch head for him) but my dad is kind of a big guy. I guess I'll block it as much as possible and hope for the best. I have a glass vase that is more or less human head shaped. I used it before Christmas, padded with varying amounts of bubble wrap, to block the 3 hats I made for my nieces (pictured above). Then I wadded up some plastic bags from the grocery store (clean) to fill in the whole hat shape. It worked pretty well on those hats, so I'm hopeful for this one. It's so cold and wet here though that I don't know how long it'll take to dry all the way.

My camera is around here somewhere. When I find it, I'll take a picture of the dad hat (although it's no big deal, really). I would take a picture of the Pomatomus glove but there's almost nothing to photograph at this point. I've restarted them about 4-5 times now. I'm finding that with the size #1 needles, when I make a mistake or drop a stitch, it's almost impossible to correct. Yarg! I'm not quitting though.

No comments: